THINK ESPANOLA! This stew is great for a cool afternoon.
Makes 4 servings.
Utensils: A wide pot, 5-6 quarts (if available a clay pot)
[button link=” http://eattilapia.com/recipes/?dish=1420″ color=”red” newwindow=”yes”] recipe video[/button] [button link=”https://www.frugeseafood.com/tropical-aquaculture-products-inc/” newwindow=”yes”] Tropical Aquaculture[/button]
- 4 fillets of Ecuadorian Tilapia (calculate ½ lbs per person), cut into bite sized pieces.
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup roasted red peppers or 3 whole roasted red peppers peeled
- 2 cups of crushed tomatoes (about 4 tomatoes)
- ¼ tsp medium spicy curry
- a pinch of lemon zest
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- a pinch of pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups fish stock
- a few pinches of salt to taste
- 2 pinches of sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- Crème Fraiche
- Parsley leaves
- Zested lemon
- For safe food handling purposes, rinse the fish quickly and pat the fillets dry before using them.
- Heat up the pot on a high heat (You can test if the pot is hot by seeing if water sizzles and evaporates when sprinkled onto the pot’s surface). Once the pot is hot add the oil and then sauté the diced onions and peeled garlic cloves in the oil until the onions are golden.
- Add the spices and lemon zest to the sautéed onions and spread the flavors evenly throughout the pot. Push the onions to the rim of the pot, add another dash of olive oil to the pot’s centre and brown the cut pieces of Tilapia in the center of the pot.
- Once the tilapia has seared, roughly chop up the roasted red peppers and add them to the pot.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and let the mix simmer. Once it begins to bubble pour in the cup of wine and stir everything together.
- When the ingredients have begun to boil up once more, add the fish stock to the pot and stir.
- Let the stew simmer at a low temperature for 30-40 minutes or until the soup has thickened slightly, the flavour is to your liking and the Tilapia has started to flake.
- Serve hot with a dollop of crème fraiche and chopped parsley.